news in focus
Visit us regularly for updates on Stefan’s current projects and for news on upcoming events.
Stefan speaking @ 2nd edition of NatureTalks
Stefan will be speaking for a second time at Nature Talks Photo Festival. Together with a selection of 25!! top-notch Nature Photographers from all over the world. The Photo Festival will take place on Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th March 2021. And you can follow the packed programme of events from the comfort of your home.
As with the first edition, no worries if you can’t make it this weekend. Because everything will be recorded. And you can watch and replay all sessions without any restriction. All the talks will be in English (and you can even choose with or without English subtitles).
Allround Nature Photography Online Photo Festival
Nature-Talks is an allround Nature Photography Online Event covering all assets of our art; including a wide range of genres such as macro, landscape and wildlife photography.
There will be 6 different programs
- Inspirational program – Inspirational talks from 25 world class Nature Photographers
- Educational program – Practical tips & tricks from the professionals
- Conservation program – Conservation photography and nature protection
- Live Q & As – Live Q & A sessions with all speakers
- Foto Reviews – Feedback from professional Nature Photographers
- Masterclasses – Learn more and achieve depth in a specific technique
Join Stefan: Live Q & As & Portfolio Reviews
- On Saturday December 12th you can ask Stefan everything you want to know about Antarctica and penguins during the live Q & A session. This will take place at 4:30pm (CET).
Stefan and other speakers will tell our best stories, share their prize winning images and every now and then and share crucial secrets on how the previous came to be.
What do you think about these other world class photographers?
- Marsel van Oosten (NEd/ZAF) – Award-winning professional wildlife and nature photographer. Maybe you know him as the winner of the prestigious Wildlife Photographer of the Year Award in 2019? Check his instagram
- Andrew (Andy) Parkinson (UK) – Multi-award winning Wildlife Photographer (e.g. Wildlife Photographer of the Year) in the and is a regular National Geographic Feature Contributor. Check his instagram
- Federico Veronesi (ITA/KEN) – His track record is huge and images have been published in e.g. in BBC Earth books. Check his instagram,
- Aaron Gekoski (UK) – Award-Winning Environmental Photojournalist. A wildlife presenter, photojournalist, and filmmaker. For example his documentaries you can see on NatGeo Wild and the Discovery Channel. Check his instagram.
- Jo-Anne McArthur (CAN) – Award-Winning Photojournalist, author and educator. Published some books: We Animals, Captive and Hidden. Check here Instagram
- Marco Gaiotti (ITA – Italian professor and teacher who makes beautiful images. His photos are a powerful combination of flora and fauna. Check his Instagram
- Audun Rikardsen (NOR) – Multi-award winning Nature Photographer takes some of the most remarkable photos I’ve seen. Check his Facebook
- Tim Man Lee – Award-winning Wildlife Photographer with his own photography courses about how to take sharp pictures. Check his Instagram.
And many, many more……
- Learn from the best 25!! (inter)national Nature Photographers of the world and get inspired!
- Inspiring and educational lectures, photo reviews, portfolio reviews, live Q & As and master classes
- You can follow the packed program from the comfort of your home or wherever you are (as long as you have working internet)
- Almost 40 hours of video material
- Until March 1, 2021 you can watch everything without restriction
- You can watch everything in English (plus you can even choose with or without English subtitles)
- Prices start at EUR 30,-
Don’t miss out and get inspired! Spread the word.
Stefan speaking @ NatureTalks
We are very delighted to announce that Stefan will be speaking at the very first digital edition of the Dutch Nature Talks Photo Festival. Together with a selection of 25!! top-notch Nature Photographers from all over the world we will make this year unforgettable.
The Photo Festival will take place on Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th December 2020. And you can follow the packed programme of events from the comfort of your home.
No worries if you can’t make it this weekend. Because everything will be recorded. And you can watch and replay all sessions without any restriction until March 1, 2021. All the talks will be in English (and you can even choose with or without English subtitles).
Additionally, you can join Stefan for a live Q&A session:
On Saturday December 12th you can ask me everything you want to know during the live Q & A session. This will take place at 11.30 am (CET).
● Learn from the best 25 (inter)national Nature Photographers of the world and get inspired!
● Inspiring and educational lectures, photo reviews, portfolio reviews, live Q & As and master classes
● You can follow the packed program from the comfort of your home or wherever you are (as long as you have working internet)
● Almost 40 hours of video material
● Until March 1, 2021 you can watch everything without restriction
● You can watch everything in English (plus you can even choose with or without
● Prices start at EUR 30,-
So, we’d say: Don’t miss out and get inspired! Spread the word :-).
penguin book first feedback
After the first books have been shipped and also received by customers, we have gotten some incredible feedback. People are very moved by the photos and the stories and Stefan has received countless personal Thank You notes.
Even high ranking producers of the BBC NHU have praised the book. Rupert Barrington, who was the series producer of BBC Dynasties and BBC Green Planet said “The book is genuinely wonderful. Stefan’s images combine artistry and emotion to a degree I have not seen in a natural history book before.”
Finally, also The Times have reviewed the book and used terms like “the ultimate book about penguin love” and “nothing short of sublime”.
There will be more utterly positive feedback published soon, so stay tuned.
If you have not picked up your signed copy yet, make sure to stop by the Nature in Focus Shop and get your order in. It might just arrive before Christmas. ALL BOOKS WILL BE SIGNED!
The book comes in two language editions:
expected shipping delayed
Unfortunately, due to the recent outbreaks of Corona all throughout Europe, there will be a slight shipping delay for Stefan’s first book “Penguin – A Story of Survival“. Instead of November 2nd, Stefan now expects the book to ship on November 12th, 2020.
That being said, the books are printed and look amazing. Check out a short video message from Stefan, to get the latest news and a sneak peek.
But most importantly: Stay safe and healthy during these uncertain times.
penguin book available for pre-order
Finally, after many months of hard work, you can pre-order Stefan’s first book about the emperor penguins of Atka Bay and their “Penguin Love” story.
The book will come in two language editions:
You can find the books, as well as a limited special offer for selected prints in the brand new Nature in Focus Shop. In the future we will add more prints, postcards, calenders and everything else that you have been asking Stefan for.
Thank you so much for your patience! We hope that you will enjoy this beautiful coffee table book. It features over 120 photographs on over 210 pages as well as many of Stefan’s very personal stories from Antarctica.
Shipping expected to start on November 2nd, 2020 – ALL BOOKS WILL BE SIGNED!
photo auction at ICFJ
As of today, two of Stefan’s images are being auctioned for a good cause. Together with many other internationally renowned photographers, Stefan has joined the initiative “Visions and Visionaries – The World Through the Eyes of National Geographic Photographers” of the ICFJ (International Center For Journalists), who supports journalists around the world, particularly in countries with little tradition of a free press. Their programs help news media expose and investigate the times’ most pressing issues.
It’s quite an honor to be asked to contribute to such an important program and I hope that my images will receive high bids. If you want to place a bid yourself, on any of the images, you can have a look here: https://e.givesmart.com/events/hPR/.
The auction runs until October 5th, 2020.
Thank you for making a difference in this world. All small steps count!
montier festival cancelled
With the current numbers of positive COVID-19 tests on the rise, unfortunately the organizers had to cancel this year’s Montier festival. I am quite sad about this, but I can completely understand the decision. The health and safety of people always comes first and hopefully next year, the circumstances will be better.
In the end, it is in the interest of the organizers, as well as the attendees to enjoy themselves in a safe environment and to completely immerse themselves in nature, photography and art. This will be much easier to accomplish with a mind at ease and not constantly having to worry about catching or spreading the virus.
Obviously, this will not affect the availability of my penguin book. You will still be able to get a signed copy via the new Nature in Focus Shop. Link will follow soon! 🙂
penguin book proof stage
Last weekend Stefan worked on the proofs of his upcoming penguin book “Penguin – A Story of Survival” and made sure, that all images will be printed in the best quality possible.
For those unfamiliar with the stages of a book: upon receiving the proofs it is the authors task to make sure there is no residual dust on the images, to check whether the print quality (colors, gradation, etc.) is good and also to check whether all images will be correctly displayed after the pages are cut into their final format (especially for so-called full bleed images, which spread over two pages). It’s a process where attention to detail is of the utmost important, but Stefan made sure that even the tiniest mistakes were mitigated.
In a few days the book will be printed! 6,000 copies (German & English language) in the first run. Exciting times! 🙂
penguin book layout finished
Finally, after months of selecting the photographs, conceptualizing and writing the story, many correction rounds and layouting we are nearing the end of the design process of my book “Penguin – A Story of Survival”. Yesterday, I added my final comments to the layout draft, which are currently being worked into the existing design. Over the weekend I will work on the image descriptions and then everything will be sent off for proof printing.
Stay tuned for updates and make sure to order your copy early enough. The initial print run is limited to only 6,000 copies, which are split into English and German. Soon you will be able to pre-order in the new Nature in Focus Shop.
large exhibition announced
All being well, Stefan will be attending and exhibiting at one of the largest exhibition festivals in Europe: the 24ème Festival International de la Photo Animalière et de Nature in Montier-en-Der in France (19th-22nd November, 2020). Come by and say hello, or ask any questions you have about his experiences and images. Copies of Penguin – A Story of Survival will also be available to purchase from there.